Sunday, December 30, 2007

Independence Bowl

So this is going to be a long, no picture post...sorry. On Wednesday at 4:45 A.M. we awoke and got ready to leave for the Independence Bowl game in Shreveport, Louisiana. We had quite an adventure on our trip there. When I woke up I was having symptoms of a breast infection, so I grabbed my back-up antibiotics, thank goodness. We got to CU at about 6:45 and waited for the bus to leave. At 7:30 the buses pulled out, we ran into two bad accidents along the way to the airport, got to the airport later than scheduled and then sat on the bus for about 30 more minutes. We should have known something was up. We were scheduled to leave for Shreveport at 9:30 we arrived at the airport about 8:30 started going through security around 8:45. By the time everyone was on the plane it was 9:30 we were doing good. Then trouble started; they first told us they needed to wait until they new the final weight of the plane to fuel up, so we waited for fuel. Then they said they needed to de-ice the plane, so we waited. Then they told us we were ready for take off, we all sat ready to take off for about 30 minutes, but we didn't go anywhere. Finally, about 30 minutes later they said they needed to fix the air conditioning system. Well this took about an hour and the entire plane was getting hungry and tired of sitting on the plane. The flight attendants passed out hot pockets and expected us to eat them cold...the team doctor had to tell all the players not to eat them. They never fixed the air conditioning, they decided to fly at a lower altitude which takes more fuel so we had to get more fuel and about 1 o'clock our flight headed for the runway. We got to Shreveport around 3, we were so late we missed the welcome event for the bowl. I was shocked at how good Brayden did on the plane considering we were on the plane for over 6 hours. I wasn't feeling very good and was running a fever. That first night my temperature got up to 102.2, but I had started my antibiotics so I was sure I would start feeling better soon. On Thursday, I was able to attend Ladies Day out. We basically ate all day, in fact I gained 5 pounds while I was down there. For Ladies Day out we went to a museum and had brunch, they allowed us to look around for about 30 minutes and we loaded the buses to head to Copeland's for lunch. So we basically ate twice in about 1 hour. Every night we had really good food in the hospitality room, so I ate a lot, and then ate some more. The rest of the trip I continued to eat, that was really all there was to do down there. On game day Jared, Brayden, and I walked down by the boardwalk. They had a Bass Pro Shop with an alligator pond, so we went to see that for something to do. Brayden and I attended the first half of the game and then watched the rest of the game from the hotel. CU had a chance to win the game, but lost 24-30. We took a bus to the airport and waited until 2 A.M. to get on the flight and leave. We arrived home at 5:30, it was a long trip home, but we enjoyed the trip.

No comments: