Monday, May 12, 2008

First day in Moab

Our first day in Moab was very memorable. We woke up and had a great breakfast then Brayden went down for a nap as we all prepared for our afternoon of site seeing. We decided to go to Dead Horse Point. Which was awesome! I'll get some pictures up soon. It was very winding and rained off and on. We had our picnic lunch in the car, but it was an awesome view of the canyon despite the wind. We had been home about 30 minutes when I noticed that Brayden's face was swelling and he had welts on all over his body. Brayden has always had very sensitive skin, but he hasn't ever had swelling on his face. I started freaking out. Jared was taking a nap and I woke him up to look at Brayden, he didn't seem too worried, which upset me even more. We put Brayden in the bath to clean him up in case it was something he was in contact with. This is what he looked like. I know you are thinking that he isn't that bad, well it got a lot worse. Within about 15 minutes he started swelling even more. I am very lucky to have a nurse in the family, Libby always calmly helps me through my crisis. Jared went to the store to get some Benadryl. I called my friend Amber for some guidance, she has dealt with a few allergic reaction with her children. They were both so helpful.
His welts were all over his body and they were very itchy, he was scratching and rubbing all the welts.
This was taken right after Jared got back with some medicine. You can see his tear running down his cheek. It was very hard for me to see my son this way.
We tried to get Brayden to stay hydrated and eat some food. This is about 1 hour after I first noticed him having an allergic reaction. And no...he is not shutting his eyes. He is still very swollen, but his welts and redness are slowly going away.

3 comments:

Cale, Hailey, Kira & Cole said...

That is so sad. I'm glad he is doing better. What could it have been from?

The Crowley's said...

his little ears were even puffy. Michael never had it this bad with any food but you never know- very scary! He looked so sad, and i am sure you were even more sad, hope he is doing better

joshandannewester said...

Holy cow! Did you ever figure out what it was from? Hope he is doing better and you keep him away from whatever it was. Your house is awesome by the way, love it!